How to Renew and Apply for Your South African Passport Online
- Simply go to the eHomeAffairs website and register.
- Create a profile
- Answer the security questions
- Create a password
- Capture the OTP (one-time pin) sent to your cellphone
- Finally, attach a copy of your ID
Making the Payment
- Enter your bank account details on the eHomeAffairs site.
- You will then be required to log in to your internet banking to authorise the payment.
- Log in to your internet banking account: go to the “My Bills” option under “Payments” to initiate the payment instruction.
- Add the Department of Home Affairs as a beneficiary, and a payment instruction will appear under “My Bills”.
- Finally, enter your reference number and approve the R400 payment to the Department of Home Affairs.
Record Your Biometrics
Option 1: Home Affairs Branch
- Once the Department of Home Affairs has registered your payment you will be eligible to proceed with your biometrics data – two thumbprints, a photo and your signature.
- You do not need to make an appointment at Home Affairs. Simply go to your local branch to have your biometrics done.
- You will need to take your ID book with you to the Home Affairs branch.
Option 2: Home Affairs-Equipped Bank Branch
- Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria residents can make an appointment for their biometrics at their local bank branch once their payment has been registered (see below).
- You will be given a choice of time slots. Once you’ve selected a time slot, you will be sent a confirmation via SMS and email.
- Take your ID book and confirmation email or SMS with you when going to your local bank branch.