The NBA also has new terms and conditions which students need to adhere to.
Students who sign an NBA:
- Can’t relinquish, assign, transfer or delegate any of their rights or obligations under the agreement.
- Must focus on their studies and adjust themselves to university life in a responsible and disciplined manner.
- Must comply with academic requirements, such as attending and participating in lectures, tutorials and academic support programmes.
- Must complete all set assignments and tasks and undergo all tests and examinations (written and oral).
- Must pass at least 50 percent of all courses in the first year and pass sufficient courses in subsequent years.
- Students who immigrate have to pay the bursary back in full before they leave the country.
- From the second year of study beneficiaries must participate in a minimum of 10 days or 80 hours of community service or special project work per year.
If students do not honour these obligations the NSFAS can terminate the NBA.